The Islamic Center of Central Missouri
Fajr 6:30 AM
Dhuhr 1:30 PM
Asr 3:30 PM
Maghrib 5:00 PM
Isha 7:30 PM
First 12:10 PM
Second 1:00 PM
Third 1:50 PM
Please join us to fulfill the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
Date: Monday, August 21, 2017
Time: 12:50 pm—1:40 pm
Location: ICCM - 201 S. 5th St. - Columbia, MO
Abu Musa (RAA) narrated, "The sun eclipsed during the time of the Messenger of Allah. He stood in great anxiety fearing that it might be the Last Hour, he came to the Masjid, stood up to pray with prolonged qiyam, ruku', and prostration which I never saw him doing in prayer; and then he said, 'These are the signs which Allah sends, not on account of the death of anyone or life of any one, but Allah sends them to frighten thereby His servants. So when you see any such thing, hasten to remember Him, supplicate Him and beg pardon from Him."
As a solar eclipse is expected tomorrow, it is important that as Muslims we understand the Islamic perspective of such an event along with its pertinent rulings.
Solar and lunar eclipses are reminders of the Day of Judgment, when the sun, moon will lose their light. Allah (SWT) says in the Quran “When the sight is dazed (by fear), and the moon is eclipsed, and the sun and moon are united: On that day man will say, ‘Where is the refuge?”(Al-Qiyamah: 7-10)
It is for this reason that during the lifetime of the Prophet (SAW) when a solar eclipse occurred, the Prophet (SAW) was in a state of anxiety and immediately turned to Allah by praying long rakahs and making dua and istighfaar throughout the entire eclipse.
Based on this, we were taught to make this an opportunity to turn back to Allah and remember the Final Day.
Rulings pertaining to Salaatul Kusoof (Salaah of solar eclipse):
1) It is sunnah mu'akadah to perform Salaatul Kusoof.
2) One should be engaged in ibaadah throughout the eclipse by either performing lengthy salah with long rukoo' and sajdah or by making dua.
3) The salaat should be performed in congregation. If it is not possible to have the prayer with congregation, salah may be performed individually. It is also better for women to pray individually in their homes.
4) There is no azan or iqaama for salaatul kusoof.
5) The Qiraat in Salaatul Kusoof may be recited audibly.
6) In Salaatul Kusoof one should recite long surahs similar to surah Baqara or however long they are able to recite.
7) It is best for salaatul kusoof to be performed in two rakaats. However it is also permissible to perform more.
8) The salat consist of two raka and each raka has two rukoo - each raka starts with alfatiha and a long recitation, then make rukoo.
Then stand up and recite alfatiha and a shorter recitation.
Finish the first raka with two sujood.
Then stand up for the second raka which is similar to the first raka except that the recitation should be shorter.
Please note that a short khutbah/reminder will be done after the the eclipse prayer. Dhur prayer will be delayed a few minutes.
Have a talent for cooking and looking for some ajr?
Sign up to cook for St. Francis House! If interested in cooking or donating please email email@example.com or contact Br. Youssouf or the ICCM Office.